CARL PIPER'S FIRST BRICK FACTORY
In 1911, the Danish engineer Carl Theodor Piper acquired the brick factory in the Danish city of Viborg. The clay wasn't of the best quality, so in 1917 Carl Piper bought an area with first class clay, at Stoholm, close to Højslev, and built another brick factory there.
In 1949, Carl Piper and his son, Preben, decided to close the factory in Stoholm and to build a new factory in Mønsted instead. This brick factory was one of the first in Denmark to work the whole year long, using heated drying rooms instead of drying barns out in the open. The brick factory in Mønsted burned in 1952. Instead of rebuilding it, Preben Piper decided to build a new and by far more mechanized brick factory to the South of Hammershøj, where he could find great quantities of good quality clay. The brick factory in Hammershøj became one of the biggest in Northern Europe.